Total Pageviews

February 17, 2018

Questions to an artist...



In an attempt to de-mystify my art process, I have listed a few common questions and responses.


How long does it take you to make your art?

For me, it can take anywhere from two days to three years. Sometimes you really need to walk away from a piece for awhile and come back when you are ready to tackle the problem you have created in it. A lot of the time I work on several paintings at once.


Who buys your work?

Mostly friends, at first, or people I talk to about my work, they feel my excitement and energy and want to own a part of it! I also sell work through galleries and stores. I have sold oils and acrylic on paper at ABC Carpet. And a lot at a gallery that has since closed down in the Jersey Shore. It is about people coming into these places and falling in love with the work.

How do you get more visibility?

By having articles written about me, saying yes to people who would like to use my art for dvd art, or book covers and such. In return, if they can not pay me, I ask for them to give me credit by listing my website as a link from their site. Exposure is key.

What inspires you most?

Nature truly inspires me, the birth, growth and change that occurs. Basically all living creatures, and I have an infinity for sea life.

Who are your greatest contemporary influences?

Kiki Smith, Laurie Anderson and Patti Smith. I want to be as busy and have achieved as much as they have, and keep my sanity and balance.


How long have you been creating art?

I have been creating my entire life. I was always finding ways to make scraps into art as a child. Luckily my parents totally supported my love and encouraged me with classes and supplies to keep me occupied.
When did you start taking art seriously?

I started using oils on canvas when I was in high school, then I dove heavily into photography. I liked to create in the darkroom, to experiment with light. I was a shy student and becoming the photo editor of our yearbook my senior year pushed me to be more visible. I had to become more outgoing and social to get the photos required. It was an interesting position to put myself in, but did help in my getting into college. They rejected my illustration portfolio and accepted me for my photography one. I got back into using other materials when I went for my Masters Degree in Studio Art at NYU.


Where do you get the greatest inspiration from?

My greatest love is for the sea. I am very interested in the creatures that inhabit it.


As a artist living in a city filled with competition, how do you make yourself stand out?

I try to put myself out there, sending my postcards to in hopes of future exposure. I enter a lot of juried shows as a way of being seen.

CallieArt.com

No comments: